torsdag 7. mai 2015

Excessive rehersal of opinions

I am always, and I mean constantly, rehersing my opinions, going over the arguments, over and over again. It takes the shape of imagined conversations with people I’ve discussed them with before. Those of the discussions that have been heated in real life are heated in my imagination too, and the emotions that I call up are real. They are emotions like fear, anger, abandonment, and communicative frustration.

Rehershal of heated discussions usually takes precedence over fun or neutral ones. Which means, when I have a heated discussion in recent memory, or know I’m about to enter one, they’re the ones my brain picks to reherse. I reherse them more obsessively than the others too.

I can sometimes push them away though by thinking of things I’m going to write instead. (Including posts like these.)

Argument rehershals take up a lot of mental space, take attention away from aesthetic experience, and sometimes from necessary tasks. They provide a lot of mental noise, and a lot of emotional strain. And in the end, they don't work.

You see... when I’m under strain or stress, my communicative abilities become... less than they normally are. I’m... not sure if this is similar or not to when other autistic people say they lose language, and if it's not, I'm sorry for touching on an experience that I haven't actually shared. In my case I still have language, it's just harder to think trough what I’m actually saying, and it's hard bordering on painful to take in what [i]other people[/i] are saying and adjust my next response. It's painful in the way looking at sharp lights is painful. My emotional response to this is anger, which, of course, strains both me and the conversation further.

My cognitive response is to go into auto-pilot. (Or should I say auto-cue, like news readers are using?) Cling to the few scraps of thought I can find.

And I think the purpose of my rehershals is to feed my auto-pilot-auto-cue with lines for those moments. Only it doesn't work. Or rarely works. Because... ehm... people out in the real world tend to have other things to say than my mental models of them do when I reherse. And in my mind, they tend to nod and get it, when I finally manage to find the right wording. In real life people don’t do that, because they have, you know, their own points of view, not mine. And then most of the time, I don't really remember what I’ve rehersed anyway.

So I go over it in my head, try to cover every base, try to remember everything, everyhing, every expletive eventuality, every line I might know, all the time knowing that I won't, I’ll remember little and make use of even less. Much like... much like... when I have an exam and try to memorize the entire contents (if not the wording) of the textbook but know that I can't, but hopefully enough will stick that I’ll be able to reconstruct the rest, because I don't know how to take notes or plan study session in advance, and I have this number of pages still to read and this many hours left to study, and THANKS SWEARWORD I don't have to deal with exams anymore.

They're both exhausting, for many of the same reasons.

So, uhm, does anyone know any practical ways to train my brain out of this habit – teach it not to spend all this effort rehersing arguments it won't have any use for anyway? Or as a temporary solution, ways to get out of heated discussions before they end up on the schedule for rehersal? Perhaps an easier way to bring across the things I've just said in this post?

I sometimes wish I didn't have to have opinions at all.

3 kommentarer:

  1. Jeg lurer på om kommentaren jeg opprinnelg skrev ble slukt av internettet?

    Da jeg gikk i terapi, fikk jeg råd om å sette av et kvarter daglig til den typen grubling, men det var før noen tenkte at jeg hadde asperger, og jeg tror det er et råd som fungerer bedre for neurotypiske mennesker som ikke tenker like tvangsmessig. For meg hjelper det å gi hodet andre oppgaver når jeg ser at det jeg tenker på ikke er hensiktsmessig, særlig når jeg går gjennom samme samtale flere titalls ganger i hodet. Jeg har et bønneord jeg resiterer, men andre meditasjonsteknikker eller memoreringer kan sikkert også fungere. Jeg klarer ikke alltid finne pusten min, så jeg må bruke ord. Jeg bruker det som sagt når jeg må avbryte enkelte tanker, men også når jeg ikke trenger hodet til noe annet, som når jeg skal sove ellerer ute og går, for å unngå at jeg ubevisst lar meg fange opp i tanker som bare gjør meg engstelig.

    SvarSlett
  2. Hei, hyggelig å høre fra deg! Tror ikke et kvarter om dagen ville virket for meg heller. Noen av tingene som fyller hodet mitt, sånn som ting jeg må få gjort snart, finner jeg ofte litt hjelp i å skrive ned, så slipper jeg hvertfall å huske på dem hele tiden. Og så bruker jeg ofte dataspill til å holde hjernen opptatt, eller lydbok hvis jeg ikke får spilt data... men meditasjon – av ett eller annet slag – var en god idé, det får jeg kanskje titte nærmere på.

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Jeg pleier også å skrive ned slike praktiske ting og synes det hjelper for å holde orden i hodet. Det virker som om jeg nærmest må plukke opp tankene mine og plassere dem et sted for at det ikke skal bli kaos. Jeg har inntrykk av at sånne ting går mer av seg selv for typiske mennesker.

      Slett